Saturday, January 26, 2008

Origin of a Chinese Proverb

haha.. received some email about my improper usage of chinese proverb. I had 木已成粥 in my prior post (now corrected), which means wood has already become porridge, but the real expression should be 木已成舟, wood has become vessel(boat), and to mean things cannot be undone.. A little research found that the expression came from 鏡花緣..

Chapter 34, 「... 如今木已成舟,也是林兄命定如此了。」
Chapter 35,「到了明日,木已成舟,眾百姓也不能求我釋放,我也有詞可託了。 」

鏡花緣
清李汝珍所作,一百回。寫唐武后時,百花獲天譴,降為才女,百人會試同上榜,以及秀才唐敖遨遊海外,歷經諸多異境而與諸女遭遇的故事。

Actually, it's a question I had too.. I though it might have been 米已成粥 but it just didn't sound right, and when I tried to search for the term using google and baidu, I found 木已成粥, which sounded right but looked wrong.. But it seems everyone was using that instead of the proper one, so I copied it. I thought maybe there might have been some strange fable associated with the proverb that actually turned wood into porridge.. little did I know it's actually just due most people using it wrong (perhaps 粥 comes up first when you using pin-ying chinese input?)

Oh, by the way, for these type of things, you can also just comment it directly on the pages. I look forward to all your comments and it makes the blog seems more active :) I guess when we share the news with relatives and friends there should be a lot more people visiting and hopefully leaving comments, but for now, I hardly get any comments and it feels a bit lonely :(

1 Comment:

alice said...

I think it is the typing cause the word changed. People use computer a lot and sometimes it makes fun from the mistake so they igore the origin word. That's happened from our officials use the idiom and have the wrong word and the same pronouciations too and gives the report has the chances to laugh them. I might spell words wrong too. Ha!